Monday, January 16, 2012

Sausage Casing Soap Log

A soaper friend of mine sent me some plastic tube sleeves (thanks Pam!), those were originally used to protect tube shipping, now used for soaping!  I have to say, it is a great inexpensive alternative to using PVC pipe for mold!  Except it takes more effort to plan how to pour it standing right side up.
I also combined this experiment with my shaving soap retry.  I said retry because I made shaving soap before (long ago) and it didn't work out so great.  It seems like my soaping experiments are like fashion trending, always recirculate back to the old time and then reinvent.
Here's the before formula:
Lots of Olive oil (lemongrass mint infused)
Coconut oil
Almond oil
Castor oil
Bee's wax

And here's the reinvented version:
Coconut oil
Castor oil
Olive oil (lemongrass chamomile infused)
Palm oil
Cocoa butter
Almond oil
Stearic acid
Glycerin
Bentonite clay
Silk fiber
Look at all that air bubbles I trapped!  It's caused by thick trace and pouring high into a narrow tube!

This is how is looks like right after pour hanging in my kitchen like a tube of sausage!
Now you ask, what's my secrete of pouring into this flimzy tube?  It's actually not my idea, the credit goes to a soap maker friend of mine, Pam from By the Sea Soap!  She sent me a few cut sections of these plastic tubes to try, together with a cut can (the ones for concentrated juice, made out of cardboard material and metal rim).  She slipped the tube through the can and used the metal rim to hold tube open.  What a genius!  This kind of cheap instant solution found in the kitchen is totally up my alley!

10 comments:

  1. That turned out really cool Emily!! That lather is amazing! Which fragrance did you use for this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Ann, can't believe I forgot to mention the scent AGAIN! I used a mixture of BB's Nag Champa and lavender 40/42 essential oil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, it looks great! Wish I had found out about the tubing before I invested in the PVC pipe... it must be a lot easier to unmold!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Amy, it's like peeling an Italian sausage! LOL. Too bad that means it cannot be reused. But it's so cheap anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the color,wat is it? and and love your blog!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh and do you now where i can get this tubing?

      Delete
    2. I used activated charcoal for the grey and blue mica for the blue. I believe you can get those tubing sleeves at any shipping or packaging stores. My friend purchased a big roll from an online wholesale shipping material store.

      Delete
  6. Em if anyone wants these sleeves I'd be happy to send some out just for the postage! I have loads.

    How did I ever miss this thread? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just an updated comment for those people using PVC tubing. The plastic liner isn't the best for unmolding. Use freezer paper to line the mold and it will be much easier to unmold from the PVC.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis