Sunday, April 10, 2011

Experimental Topography Funnel Swirl Take 1

My very first post on my very first blog.  Have been reading other fellow soaper's blogs for a long time and finally decided to create one of my own.  Never know writing a blog is this hard...  I guess I'll stay with lots of photos and few words!

Ok, I will start with an experiment I did in my kitchen yesterday.  This is inspired by a soap buddy of mine, she did a take on "column swirl" (will post my previous projects later and explain what column swirl means) in a slab mold ending up looking, well,  like an aerial shot of topography.  As restless as I am, immediately planned my next project.  Went to Home Depot yesterday, got myself three 3/4" square 6" long wood pickets, came home and did it.  

Unfortunately fragrance oil I chose was not cooperating, speeded up the trace and soon became globs half way into the pour.  I did my best to stump the mold, shift the mold vigorously, tilt right and left, but no luck... 

24 hours later, I took the slab out of the mold and cut it into pieces.  You are looking at the sides of the cuts.  All in all, I think it's going towards the right direction, does that look like the soil layering after million years of earthquake movement and finally out of the surface?  By the way, the fragrance I use is a blend of sweet fig, light floral, and woods, I renamed it Summer Fig.

1 comment:

  1. An ugly duckling became a peacock. So beautiful I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis